You only get one chance at this life.
On average, Americans live to the age of 79. By that measure, more than a quarter of your life is behind you by the time you turn 20. When you hit 30, nearly 38 percent of your life is in the past. At 40, you are beyond the halfway point. By age 50, less than 37 percent of your life is still in front of you. And so on. It’s a sobering reality.
Now imagine waking up on your 79th birthday, with the realization that every day could be your last here on Earth. And we know that to be true because any day could be our last here on Earth. Another sobering reality.
But it’s the morning of your 79th birthday and you’ve decided to reflect on your life:
- What do you wish you had accomplished?
- To whom do you wish you dedicated more of your time?
- What do you wish you hadn’t feared so much?
- What opportunities do you wish you had taken?
- Where do you wish you had traveled?
- What do you wish you had learned earlier?
- What do you wish you could say to your 25-year-old self? How about your 35-year-old self? 45? 55?
- What else did you miss?
And then your focus shifts to the future: What will your biography say? What will future generations know about you and how you lived your life? What will be your story?
If you don’t like your story as it is written today, change it.
The V/E Scale is designed to help you focus your energy on what you value most
How can we evaluate our current life to help us change our story to one filled with meaning and happiness?
For me, it’s by working through what I call the Value/Energy Scale. I devised the concept of the Value/Energy Scale, or the V/E Scale for short, to ensure the value I received from everything I do exceeds or is at least equal to the energy I expend.
Picture a traditional scale with two sides and a balancing beam. Your time and effort (energy) are on one side and the meaning and fulfillment (value) you experience are on the other side. In life, you always want the scale to favor the value side.
The V/E Scale has helped me focus my energy on what I value most. And I want to help you do the same.
The Value/Energy Scale: The five-step process to move you closer to your ideal life
The ultimate goal of the V/E Scale is to help you focus your energy on what you value most, so you can lead the life you really want. It is an evaluation practice that includes envisioning your ideal life and taking inventory of your life as it is now.
Like life coaching, its success depends on the transformational power within you. No one knows the look and feel of your ideal life better than you.
The V/E Scale requires you to think about the quality of your life in four pillars of health:
- Mental/Emotional: This pillar refers to our ability to be mindful and present in the moment, and our ability to be at peace in our life. This is also where meaning and happiness factor in.
- Physical: This pillar refers to our actual health and all the vital systems of our body. It also includes our eating and exercising habits.
- Social: This is the people pillar. It includes all of the people in our lives, including our significant others, family, friends, co-workers and other colleagues.
- Professional: This pillar refers to our career and our personal finances.
Many of us never take the time to think deeply about the life we really want. It’s easier to believe it’s unrealistic and out of reach, and so we don’t even allow ourselves to dream. But once you get clear on the life you really want, you may find you’re not that far away from your ideal life. Or that your dream life is more attainable than you thought.
Follow these V/E Scale steps and allow yourself to dream: